As we enter into Late Summer, there are still plenty of Garden Jobs for August but the pace will slow allowing even the avid gardener time to enjoy pottering.
Late Summer in The Garden
Depending on the amount of rain the garden’s had things should still be looking lush. It’s probably at the peak of its growth and just about to turn the corner in August into a more settled fullness. Long sunshiny days give plenty of time to appreciate your outdoor space but drought can quickly fry things to a crisp so vigilance is needed to monitor the garden and get the full benefit of Late Summer flowering plants.
There’s an abundance of crops to harvest in the Kitchen garden often with gluts of Runner Beans, Courgettes and Tomatoes being eagerly shared amongst friends and neighbours. Juicy Plums and early Apples are amongst the fruits to be enjoyed in the garden in August.
15+ JOBS TO DO IN YOUR GARDEN IN AUGUST
IN THE KITCHEN GARDEN
- Time to sow Onions for overwintering
- Sow Lettuce for Spring Salads
- Pinch out the tops of Tomato plants when they have 4-5 trusses of fruit developing
IN THE FRUIT GARDEN
- Plant out Strawberry runners
- Support branches of Plum trees if they’re laden with fruit to prevent them collapsing or breaking
- Keep trees grown in Conservatories and greenhouses well ventilated eg Peaches and Nectarines
- Carry out any Lawn renovations that are necessary
- Scarify the Lawn to remove any ‘thatch’
- Continue to mow but consider raising the blade of your Mower as grass growth slows
THE FLOWER GARDEN
- Keep deadheading plants to prolong the flowering season
- Cut down perennials that have finished flowering unless you want to keep the seedheads in situ
- And although it’s still Summer, its time to begin planning and planting Spring Bulbs such as Daffodils and Crocuses
- Check ties and stakes where trees and plants need support
- Tie in new shoots on plants where needed
- Water the garden in dry weather, especially young and vulnerable plants
- Mulch the garden when the soil is moist
- Take cuttings of any Hardy plants you require
LATE-SUMMER GARDEN TASKS
If you are going away on holiday you will need to line up a friendly neighbour to keep an eye on your garden, watering containers and hanging baskets, as well as the greenhouse, if you have one. Offering them the opportunity to harvest any produce that’s ready whilst you’re away is always a great incentive 🙂
And once you’re home it may be time to think about how to store produce for the coming months. How about making a delicious Courgette Pickle like this one?